for my dance studio‘s St. Patty’s party i wore an elvish dress and ended up looking like spearmint window drapery. however, i did win the Limerick contest.
once there was an apple strudel
who really fancied the snickerdoodle.
they couldn’t elope,
so they called the pope,
then together they adopted a poodle.
it’s not a real Limerick. we weren’t real bards, either. in other news, my pie was eagerly consumed and the remnants plundered and carried off. it’s very irish. if you’d like to make your own irish creme, recipe can be found here. as for the pie, it keeps all of its irish glory. and alcohol content.
Irish Creme Pie, modified from Cook.com
makes an 9-inch pie in springform pan
active time: 35 min. setting time: 2 hours
total: 2hr 35min (but it’s worth it, people!)
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 c. crushed Oreos. i pulverize the cookies in a blender, high speed, “Grind” setting
- Mix melted butter and cookie crumbs. Pat mixture into bottom
plus 1 1/2 inch up sidesof a 9-inch springform pan.
- Allow to set at room temperature while you make the filling.
- 2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. milk. should be whole, but 2% or 1% works too. do not bother using opaque water…err…fat-free milk for this.
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. Baileys Irish Cream liqueur. or homemade.
- 1 (1/4 oz.) pkg. unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 c. warm water
- 1 c. whipping cream, kept cold until whipped. i whipped the cream until stiff peaks formed, though soft-whipped would work too.
- 1 sq. semi-sweet chocolate for garnish, if desired. i used chocolate sauce in a make-shift waxpaper pastry bag
- Whip the cold cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside at room temperature.
- Cream the cheese thoroughly in a large bowl, then cream together the cream cheese and sugar.
- Slowly add milk and liqueur to cheese mixture. Blend well.
- Sprinkle gelatin on warm water; set aside 5 minutes to soften. Heat on stove or microwave until gelatin dissolves. Add dissolved gelatin to cream cheese mixture, and blend well.
- Fold whipped cream into mixture.
- Pour filling into prepared pan, refrigerate at least 2 hours before unmolding.
- Decorate top with grated chocolate if desired. i
wroteattempted to write “Bailey’s Irish Creme” on top, but the stream of chocolate sauce was too thick. the sentiments were conveyed all the same.
- the original recipe did not specify scraping the bowl, but i scraped it compulsively all the same. makes for a smoother pie.
- for heightened jolliness during the pie-making experience, coffee fortified with surplus irish creme is recommended.
- also, i need to stop burning my hand in the kitchen. i’m running out of frozen vegetables as cold-packs.